4 large eggs
1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
454 gr mascarpone cheese
1 - 1/2 cups brewed coffee
1/2 cup coffee liqueur
40 - 45 ladyfingers
1 cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in mascarpone until incorporated.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold in beaten egg whites into mascarpone mixture.
- In a small bowl combine coffee and coffee liqueur. Dip ladyfingers into coffee-liqueur mixture and lay in rows in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch dish. Spread half of the mascarpone cream on top. Make one more layer of ladyfingers and the remaining mascarpone cream.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat heavy cream and tablespoon of sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream on top.
- Dust with cocoa powder and garnish with grated and/or shaved bittersweet chocolate. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.