Serves 4 - 8
1 tab sugar
2 teas sea salt
1 packet dry yeast
4 1/2 cups plain flour
1/3 cup melted butter
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
olive oil spray or vegetable oil spray
1 large egg yolk
some extra sea salt
• Combine the water,sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer(mix master) then add the yeast.
• Let them sit for 5 mins or until the mixture begins to foam.
• Add the flour and butter,using the dough hook attachment,mix on low speed until well combined.
• Change to medium speed,keep mixing it until the dough gets smooth.
• Remove the dough from the bowl and then oil the bowl well.
• Return the dough to the bowl,cover with plastic wrap sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 mins or until the dough has doubled in size.
• Preheat the oven 230C - 250C degrees.
• Line 2 half - sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the oil.
• Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling in a saucepan or roasting pan.
• In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces.
• Roll out each piece of dough into a rope.Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom U in order to form the shape of a pretzel.
• Place the pretzels into the boiling water,1 by 1,for 30seconds.
• Remove them from the water using a large plat spatula.
• Place them onto the parchment lined half sheet pan.
• Brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and with the salt.
• Bake until dark golden brown in colour.(approximately 12 to 14 mins)
Ps: DO NOT put the baking soda after the water boiled. Add the baking soda to the water and THEN boil it.